Well, you will never guess what else I managed to do.
NEVER!
It's cool on the same level as the tomato rooting, but in a different way entirely.
I cannot imagine how lucky I am to have had this happen and it looks like MORE of them are on their way, is the neatest thing!
Do you like these posts where I do this and talk up the thing that is the thing I'm talking about?
Was that a confusing sentence?
Anyway, is this annoying or scintillating?
Shall I just go ahead and tell you already?
Do you think I could possibly ask any more questions?
What is your favorite color?
Have you seen the movie Due Date with Zack Galifinakis and Robert Downey, Jr?
It was terrible. We walked out half way through it last night.
Ok. So let's get back to the planty thing I intended to talk about, shall we?
As you may recall if you read this bloggy (Hi, Mom!), I grew some eggplant in the back yard this summer. I harvested a few of them - they are slow to grow and I planted it pretty late in the season - July, I think.
Well, on October 31, the day after our big par-taaay, I decided it was getting sufficiently cold at night and that I should bring in the herbs and, on a whim, I brought in the eggplant. It was still producing flowers and had many, happy green leaves, but there was no sign of an eggplant on its way. Basically, I cannot let a plant just die. It kills me to watch them suffer. As it is, it's hard enough for me to see all the perennials and annuals I've planted outside go to pot as the temps plummet at night! I wish I could bring them all inside, but - obviously, that is not possible!
ANNNNNYYway, I was flitting about this morning as I am wont to do when I first arise. I don't like to hurry about and get dressed and zippy zoom out the door right away. First, I love the dogs when I come downstairs, then let them out, then open the curtains, and then I often check several plants and see how they're doing - if they need water, if they need a trim, if they are unhappy...It's the closest thing I have to gardening in the off-months, so that's what I do. I'm nuts. I know!!
So, as I was going about my plant-checking, I saw that the eggplant (which had been in the bar with the herbs), had some dried up leaves that needed removing. So, as I was in the process of removing them, what did I see?
This:
An eggplant! It's about 2 inches long right now, but looking very good! Very healthy!
So, for the last two weeks, unbeknownst to me, there has been a baby eggplant growing there! What a surprise! What a thrill!
I had brought this plant in thinking I'd just let it live out its last days there in the bar until it just couldn't live anymore!
Well, well, well! Guess I was wrong!
The thing is, it has tons and tons of blooms coming! New growth everywhere! So, apparently, I brought it in at just the right time and I think it's going to survive the winter! So, I've moved it to a sunny spot in the living room (who'da ever thunk that I'd have an EGGPLANT growing in our living room????!!!) and here it will live for the winter!
Tomatoes and eggplant, anyone?!!
You just never know, do you?
Happy indoor gardening, everyone!
Have a great weekend!



You seem to leave me with a grin every time. :0)
ReplyDelete