Saturday, March 24, 2012

Words by which to live

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom:

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting tomatoes in a fruit salad.

I will be showing you some pictures of this amazing garden that is just up the street from my Dad's house in New Port Richey, FL.

There is a man there, Jim Kovaleski, who is a magical green thumb gardener. He uses his techniques to work with nature to create the most gorgeous organic vegetable gardens you've ever laid your eyes on. His farm, which provides food for restaurants and citizens of New Port Richey, is called Freedom House Farm, and it is one of the most special places I've ever visited.

His tender care of all things living was really something to behold and I was thrilled to be able to spend a couple hours with him and his lovely Mother (who, incidentally, lives a block away, and her entire yard is also dedicated to growing these gorgeous foods for the community).

He will be giving a workshop in Portsmouth, NH this May (which is supposedly filled, but I'm going anyway!) about permaculture and how it fits into the world. Organic, local and sustainability are the basic tenets of his garden practices. The joy he gets from creating and caring for these gardens is utterly contagious! I was there easily 4 times during my short visit to my Dad's!

Here's a brief preview of the beauty of these amazing gardens:




If you're ever in that part of the world, look up Freedom House Farms. You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment