Friday, January 31, 2014

Absence...Did It Make Your Heart Grow Fonder?

Hi all y'all! Well, I've been absent from this here bloggity, but for good reason...

I'm living with a dear friend of mine in a beautiful condo in Salem, MA. And, well...there was a bit of an issue with one of the pipes in the sprinkler system. The issue, you ask? Well, due to the ridiculously cold temperatures we experienced last week, the pipe froze and then cracked.  And then when the temperatures moderated last Saturday? Well, let's just say deluge might begin to cover it.

The water was GUSHING out of the ceiling in my friend's bathroom and closet (she has a huge walk-in closet off of her bathroom). So, the gushing water (seriously it was coming down gallons per SECOND) went all over the bathroom, the closet (all of her clothes, shoes, files, paperwork, mementos), and then started just flooding her bedroom, then it crept under the walls and flooded my bathroom, my bedroom, the laundry room and office...It was UNSTOPPABLE!

So, I called the fire department, they came and shut off the water and then quickly determined that it was the faulty sprinkler pipe.

After about seven thousand people came - the clean up people, movers, electricians, contractor, alarm people, fire inspectors, sprinkler people, insurance adjusters, and on and on and ON - well, it was determined that the entire floor and some of the walls are going to have to be torn out and replaced. It's gonna take a long, long time. A month? Maybe two?

Oy.

That means that for the past week, we've been packing all of our clothes, belongings, linens, bathroom necessities, ALL of that stuff - all had to be removed from the lower floor of the house - including furniture, artwork, chairs...Really a giant pain in the tookus.

So, I'm leaving tomorrow to go stay for a while at my Aunt and Uncle's house in Georgia. I've been visiting them there at that same house for 25+ years, so it's very much a home away from home for me. PLUS they have three dogs, two cats, a very friendly cockatiel and even some fish! I'm seriously in animal heaven when I'm there! (And I sorta like my Aunt and Uncle too).

I'll probably rent a car at some point and drive down to visit with my Mom and then my Dad lives over on the Gulf Coast of FL, so I'll try to get over there to see him, too. And, very exciting news - my best friend over there at Bye Bye, Pie is either gonna come down to visit me, or I'll drive up to visit her (and to see her doggies and kitties that I happen to adore). I'll make the best of the crazy inconvenience of having to leave!

That's my saga...I'll try to blog as often as I can while I'm away.

In the meantime, I'll leave you with a giggle sent to me from my good friend, Hank:

1 comment: