So, I just watched an amazing veedeeeo (stolen shamelessly from my friend, June, at Bye Bye, Pie) by a physicist (I'll put a link up - just wait a minute!) talking about "Type" of societies and what the internet has done for our advancement as human beings as a global community.
(That was a really long sentence.)
In any case, he talked about the fact that the internet is basically a Type 1 global telephone. It's the start of a possibly better life for everyone on the planet.
He talked about the European Union and how that is also the beginning of a Type 1 society where people who formerly fought over EVERYTHING (mostly land and religion) now have banded together for a better way of life for the whole.
Super interesting.
He talked about how we right now are on the cusp between either blowing ourselves up (because of savagery, terrorism, the existence of nuclear weapons, etc.) OR we are gonna go the other way because we're making such advancements in connecting with each other and learning tolerance and empathy for those who are suffering.
Really great stuff. It's kind of a big deal here in Alaska - the whole live and let live deal. Alaskans just want to do their thing. They don't want to tread on your happiness - in fact, it's the other way around. They WANT you to be happy.
The number one thing that has been said to me when I tell people that I've just moved here from Massachusetts?
"Welcome to Alaska!" said very heartily and with great gusto!
I also get hugged all the time. By utter strangers...mostly women but there are some really great men I've met here, too.
So, in any case, I'm being far too meaningful for the start of my day...Phoebe, my beautiful little dog is sick of me looking at the damn computer screen.
Anyhoo, here's that video by the physicist Michio Kaku. It's worth the few minutes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment