Friday, October 1, 2010

Garden goodies

I did it. I harvested the eggplant that has been grow grow growing for almost a month in the back yard!
Isn't he cute? I apologized when I was cutting him off the vine. I felt so guilty!

Now, since hubby was out with the boys, I decided to make one of my favorite dishes - it's an eggplant and spinach dish layered with three cheeses and homemade marinara. Yummm!

Would you like to see it? I thought you would!

First, you slice up the eggplant and saute until lightly browned.
I used my lovely new pan, with olive oil and a bit of salt on the eggplant:

Drain the eggplant on paper towels:

Pick your fresh basil for the sauce:


Put together your sauce by mixing tomato paste, sauteed onion, garlic, basil, parsley, a bit of water and a bit of wine:


Then in a baking dish, put some sauce on the bottom, a layer of eggplant, a layer of cooked spinach and then a cheese mixture of ricotta, mozzarella and parmesean:


Add a layer of sauce on that, another layer of eggplant, a layer of spinach, some more sauce, then top with mozzarella and parmesean:

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes (I used the convection oven so it only took about 30) until it's got a nice brown on top:

Healthy, delightful and yumm! So satisfying to eat from your own garden! Love it!

I realize this was not the most flowery post, but I have not been able to play much in my garden with the issues in my back. It is getting better, though (knock wood), as I was able to sleep on my side last night without excruciating pain. Bonus!

Well, I'm off to do some errands and then have a chiropractor appointment again!

Happy Friday, friends! : )

1 comment:

  1. Sure does look good. :0)

    Had one of those appointments myself today.
    My neck is being a pain in my as-. :0(

    Wishing you a fabulous weekend. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete