The lyrics of this song crack me right up!
Anyway, we're back. Not at ALL thrilled to be back except that I'm glad to see the doggies. I do miss them when we're away. But my husband and I both agree that we could have used another 5 or 6 days at the glorious place we went...We flew from here to St. Thomas, then rode two ferries to get over to the island of Jost Van Dyke. It's one of the British Virgin Islands. And it is heaven on Earth. That link will take you directly to the place we stay. We've been there before, and it was every bit as nice this time around!
There is literally NOTHING there except tiny little restaurants and beach bars. There are tiny little hole-in-the-wall places that call themselves grocery stores - but basically, it's just a lush, green tropical foresty type place with a few roads, and the 186 residents eking out a living from the tourist business. But even the tourist business is not BIG business down there. It's not where you'll find big, luxury resorts or fancy places to eat or spas or anything of the sort. They bill it as the Caribbean as it was 75 years ago. And it is. Nothing fancy, nothing big, nothing complicated. And that's what makes it all the better. It's all about the beauty of the environment and enjoying the weather and the beautiful, unspoiled beach.
It was an incredible trip with wonderful weather, swimming, snorkeling, reading and getting VERY tan! We are both brown as berries right now! So gross to have to wear long pants and sweaters and socks! YUCK!
On the ferry ride from Tortola over to Jost Van Dyke, this is what greeted us:
And this was the view from the balcony of our villa:
Now, mind you - these are completely un-retouched photos. I did nothing to enhance the color or brightness or anything. That is how completely mind-bogglingly beautiful the water and beach is. It's seriously a feast for the eyes and I don't think I would ever tire of looking at that gorgeousness. It takes your breath away EVERY. SINGLE. TIME you look out over that view.
I sort of like it there. Can you tell?
Here I am at the beach on the first day (which was last Sunday already):
Anywho, never in the history of the world has a week gone by more quickly. Before I knew it, we were talking about the fact that we only had two days left. It's too bad that it goes by so quickly...it'd be nice to have a slow-down button for time passage sometimes, wouldn't it?
We met many, many really nice people while we were there, too. Most of us had already been there before and it seems like Jost Van Dyke attracts a certain type of person. We are not the high-maintenance travelers that want to be wined and dined and stroked! We want great weather, lots of peace and quiet and an all-around pleasant atmosphere. That's all! It's really a special little island and we just love love love it!
So, over the course of the week I'll show you photos of where we went and what we did. Mostly it's the beach. Or in the water with the fishes! We took some video and I'll try to figure out how to do that on here, too!
Enjoy the prettiness! I know I'm missing the vibrancy of it already! Back to reality!
Talk at you soon!



Absolutely gorgeous...and the pictures of the island and water aren't bad either! Glad you had a wonderful time and are home safe. xxoo
ReplyDeleteI'm all for the relaxing kind of vacation.
ReplyDeleteStill searching. ;0)