Our beloved sweet adorable wonderful gentle kind doggie Koty endured a vicious attack from a neighbor's dog.
That's our adorable Koty boy on the left with the fishy in his mouth. He likes to "help" us when we're fishing!This rotten, angry, evil American bulldog (related to pit bulls I'm told) came flying out from behind a the owner's house, unleashed. The thing went immediately after Koty. It glommed onto Koty's throat and that was that. The damn dog would NOT LET GO of Koty for the longest time. It felt like an eternity. I was certain that Koty was going to die right there. The owner finally came out and started punching and kicking the dog, Dan and I did the same, but this dog was DETERMINED to kill our poor boy.
Needless to say it was the most horrifying, terrifying thing we have EVER seen.
Turns out that the dog's teeth just barely barely missed Koty's jugular vein and his trachea. Another 1/8th of an inch and the story would not have ended as well as it did. As it is, poor Koty had to undergo emergency surgery. They had to cut away skin that was too traumatized to save and then he had to have 100 stitches and a big, gross drain put in to drain all the excess fluids that build up from such a terrible gash.
We are very, very thankful that our sweet boy is still alive.
Moral of the story? If you have a dangerous dog like that, please move to the country where other people and dogs do not have to be subjected to your animal. Man. SO scary. I worry now that if that dog ever gets loose, I can't imagine what it would do to a smaller dog. Or if I was out with our two older dogs walking by myself? I shudder to think what could happen. Really scary.
OK. That's enough of that. I don't even like to think about it any more.
So, I could use a vacation again, okay?
Let us re-visit Jost Van Dyke for one last time, shall we? The following pictures were from our last day there. Always the saddest day of a vacation, right? Knowing you're returning to snow and cold. YUCK!
Here is a short video of the view from our beach chairs!
The view from my husband's perspective:
Here I am having a drink called a pain killer on the beach:
Here is the bartender at Ivan's making our drinks:
Here we are with this really nice man that we met the first night of our trip.
He and his wife were from Minnesota and this was like their 20th year vacationing on Jost! He brings his guitar each year and jams out with some of the locals at our favorite eatery on Jost, called Corsair's. You'll see Corsair's in this video - this is the burgeoning metropolis of Great Harbor on Jost:
It's quite the downtown, eh?!! Love it!
And, last, the sunset on the beach with my beloved husband:
A wonderful, fantastic trip! Can't wait to go back!
Hope you enjoyed our travels, as well!
Send good, healing thoughts our way. Our doggie is on the mend, but he could use some good ju-ju.
Bye for now!



Get well wishes shouted out to Koty.
ReplyDeleteDid you report this?
Are the owners of that nasty dog paying the vet bill?
Hit them where it hurts so that they keep this menance chained up so as not to harm some innocent child or another dog !!!!
I shudder to think of this happening to one of my grands or dogs.
Did the owner apologize?
Words are cheap when you are sweating a law suit.
Shit....I'm upset and Koty isn't even my dog.
Hi Female,
ReplyDeleteWe absolutely reported it right away. The police and dog officer have been wonderful and very supportive of us. And the owners of the bulldog finally did call us today to apologize and assure us that they would pay the $2000+ vet bills we've incurred.
It was certainly the most upsetting thing I've been through in a loooong time and I also shudder to think what that dog could do to a child or smaller dog. If our boy had been a little thing, he'd be long gone.
Thanks for the continued well wishes. Most appreciated!
Sending Koty and you LOVE. Now...as to the video going through "town"...looks to me like the camera operator had one or ten to many painkillers! xxoo
ReplyDeleteOk, smarty pants Mom! My husband was holding the camera while driving through the "road" which is dirt and full of divots and holes! We had not had one painkiller (yet) that day!
ReplyDeleteOMG - that sounds horrific! My sweet lab Harry was attacked last week at the dog park by a 130 pound Newfie-Shepherd mix and I had to jump in and pull the beast off. I got bit (OUCH!) on my arm, but luckily Harry was OK. Sending huge healing hugs to your sweet Koty!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Zadge. Just what we all need, right? Couldn't believe how horrific it was. Thanks for the good thoughts. We can use them!
ReplyDeleteSending well wishes and positive vibes to Koty and to you, too. Sounds like you both need them. This is just too horrendous. I hope Koty is able to completely heal from this ordeal.
ReplyDeleteSadie from BBPland
Thanks so much Sadie from BBPland! Most appreciated. He is healing very nicely so far. He gets the drain removed from his neck today, so that'll be a nice step in the process...
ReplyDeleteThank you again for the well-wishes.