Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My Fair City

I've been doing some waking of late - trying desperately to get back into the groove after our vacation. I was SO good before our trip! Eating perfectly, exercising all the time. Then we went away and - POOF - bad habits reappeared. It's sort of crazy how quickly one can lose the good habits, isn't it?

In any case, the weather here has been really quite nice up until today. Sunny, blue skies, in the 40s (which doesn't sound so good in many areas of the world, but it's still winter and anything above 40 degrees is balmy in my book!). While out enjoying this nice weather, it really hit me how amazing this city is! The history, the architecture, the people, the ocean! What's not to love?

So, I thought it might be a good idea to put up some pictures of my neighborhood.

First, here is The Friendship. A gorgeous replica of the original privateer that used to sail the trade routes overseas. I think it's just so cool that this is just up the street from my house!

Here is the Custom House: This beautiful building sits across the street from the wharf where the Friendship is docked. Back in the day, the trade ships would arrive into the port of Salem year-round, from all over the world, and this is where they had to clear customs!

Next is The House of the Seven Gables. I found some pictures of this online, taken by a tourist, with the caption "Some famous author's house." Nice interpretation, dude!! This is a museum, now a National Historic Landmark, celebrating the book written by Nathaniel Hawthorne. He was one of Salem's most famous residents. Hawthorne's house was moved and sits next to the museum now. This is also literally just up the street from my house. My husband and I got married in the garden at The House of the Seven Gables! It's right on the ocean; a really lovely spot.

Walking the other direction from my house, you'll find the Salem Ferry. This operates from May to the end of October, making trips back and forth to Boston. I've taken it a couple of times, and have friends who commute to their jobs in Boston on the ferry. Not a bad way to travel!


Lastly, here is a pretty photo of Salem Common. This huge, open park is also full of history. Among other things, this is where George Washington did military drills with the troops.

No comments:

Post a Comment