Sunday, February 28, 2010

Shutter Island will NOT make you shudder

Yesterday the hubby and I were sort of bored so we decided we'd go to the movies. We tried to be all cool and go to one of the documentaries playing here in town as part of the Salem Film Festival. Unfortunately there was nothing appealing to us during the day, so we went the big-budget Hollywood movie route instead. Nothing esoterical about seeing Martin Scorsese's latest film, Shutter Island.

Now, it took really a lot of courage for me to go see this. On the trailer it looks scare scare scary and I'm really not one to see horror movies AT ALL. I'm a big big chicken, really. One of the scariest movies I've ever seen, in fact, was Blair Witch Project. That movie gives me the creeps every.single.time. I watch it. We used to have a tradition of watching that movie on Halloween night, but had to give it up because we were so skeeved out after watching it! And to make matters worse, some masochistic, rotten person put those pentagram stick thingies up in the trees in the woods where we walk the dogs and that just sent me to the moon with scaredy-cat-ness! EEEEEEEK!

OK. Back to Shutter Island.

Decidedly NOT scary. I thought I was being so brave and that I was going to be jumping out of my seat, but it was just not that kind of movie even though they make you want to believe it from all the ads and stuff. Leonardo DiCaprio was REALLY good in this, as was Mark Ruffalo (he's also quite cute!) and Ben Kingsley. Has Ben Kingsley ever done ANYthing bad? That man is one good actor!

Anyway, so, if you want to see a good movie that will not scare the bejesus out of you, Shutter Island is your movie. And it has an interesting twist to it a la Sixth Sense or Identity.

PS, please note the new cute fishy gadget over there -> on my blog! I love this thing!

2 comments:

  1. I think the beauty of the entire movie is you don’t know how to feel and you don’t know which to believe. You are very much in the mind of Leo’s character. Paranoid and stuck between two different things that both could very much be true. I called it very early on. The fact that it didn’t show him anywhere else but the Ferry and the Island. He has experienced Trauma. The Doctor said he does experimental procedures. Patients seemed coached. Just met his partner. And there wasn’t much to the movie unless he was crazy. Frankly, practically from the beginning I just felt that’s the only way it could have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paekiss, you're quick! Usually my husband and I figure out a movie pretty quickly, too, but this one got by the both of us. We must have been having a slow day or something!

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete