Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Haitian Family update and other odds and ends

We saw the Haitian family again yesterday. They were supposed to move into a place yesterday, but called us sort of in a panic because the Department of Transisitional Assisstance was going to send them to a place that is about 80 miles away. They have family here, and also we had sort of made friends with the mother, and just adore her kids! We didn't want them to have to be so far away, but it turns out the eldest daughter cannot live anywhere that there is carpeting. She has a rare respiratory condition, partly because she had one lobe of her left lung removed a few years ago. They found some sort of large mass on her lung and removed it, so now she has limited lung function...

Annnnywho, the only place that has no carpeting is this place in Southbridge (wherever that is!). They were going to be shuttled there this morning.

So, to sort of send them off on a high note, my husband and I took them out for dinner last night. We found out over the course of the evening that the mother often times does not eat so that she can give food to the kids instead. Her dinner last night was the one and only meal she had eaten all day.

I'm SOOO spoiled! I get grouchy if I don't eat every few hours! Jeez.

In other news, we are getting a little bit of snow today. We also had a few flurries yesterday, but that's okay - it didn't stick. Pretty soon it'll be time for the snowdrops to bloom! They are our official first sign of spring here in New England! Can't wait! Can you tell I'm ready for spring?

Also, it's my friend's birthday who lives out there in California! I hope she has a lovely day. This woman is a peach! One of the nicest, coolest, smartest and sweetest people you'd ever find in the world! She and I became fast friends after I invited her to sit on the board of a charity for whom I volunteer my time. She readily agreed to become part of that board and that was that! She's another only child, too, so we sort of really understand each other! In any case, she went from living literally up the street from me to living on the other side of the country. Her husband was the Dean of a very good school in Boston, but then was courted by a school out in California. So, they unfortunately left...Boo HOOO!!! I miss my good friend being here.

Last, if you are at all feeling a bit sad or depressed or even pretty good? Watch this here video and you will have no choice but to feel completely JOYOUS! Watch it in full-screen mode if you can. It makes me SOOO happy every single time I see it!

Have a good Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment