Friday, May 14, 2010

New babies for the yard

A couple days ago I started to feel better. A lot better. Still get tired after doing not-so-much, but I'm still on the mend, right? It's been a really long haul with this illness I had. Nice to feel somewhat humanoid again.

One of the things I HAD to do was price out a job for a potential client. I do free quotes. But, this also requires some time on my behalf. I have to go to the garden center and price out the different plants that I'd be installing in this particular yard. I had to look at arborvitae (good sale going on at Marblehead Garden Center, for anyone interested!), boxwoods, euonymous, grasses, hostas and then peastone.

Certainly not your most interesting combinations, but these people do not want to do a lot of maintaining, and they needed acid-loving or acid-tolerant plants. So, there ya go.

Of course, me going to Marblehead Garden Center is like putting a drug addict in the center of a crack factory. And, well, my birthday IS coming up. And, I did lose some perennials in the back yard. So, what did I do? I bought me some more peonies, and two more, adorable, baby daphne bushes. Oh, those daphne are just so CUTE! I love them so! They are the nicest evergreen and then I showed you the pretty pink flowers they have in THIS POST.

Here is one of the babies: This is in a spot where I had a dwarf spruce tree that was VERY unhappy. I lost more than half of it last winter, and I just couldn't bear to look at the brown and naked spots all over the place. I felt terrible digging it up, but sometimes you just gotta let those things go. I had rescued this spruce from a yard I did over four years ago, but it just didn't like the soil here. Now I have a lovely daphne who will grow and love that spot!

I also added two more Sarah Bernhardt peonies to go with one I planted last year. They are right next to the daphne bush. (Nice weeds in the background, there!)

Then I also bought two more peonies that will be mystery plants until they bloom! They had over wintered at the garden center and had lost their tags, so I have no idea what variety they are! Here's one over by the grill. I put it there in place of a flowering almond that died.

And, here is the other peony by our big wooden bench. You can also see that other little daphne bush under there.

Tomorrow we can look at the other photos I took today, including the ongoing saga of the mystery plant!

No comments:

Post a Comment