Today I awoke with the blahs. I just didn't feel like my happy self and, as my husband says, "That's okay!" It's just a strange thing when I'm not all "Wheee!" and "Yaaay!" about life in general. I know I'm lucky that that is my normal state of being, so it's a funny thing when I'm feeling "Huh" and "Whatever".
Of course, a LARGE conspirator in my lack of good mood was good old Aunt Flo. She really puts a damper on the party, you know? She's the downest of Debbie Downers. So, the hormones are raging, the cramps were a'cramping and it was sort of dreary and snowed a little today. I did get a lot accomplished, which is nice - the house is spotlessly clean now, dishes are done, laundry folded, I did a little walking and also got the last minute things I needed for Christmas.
Later this afternoon, I decided to look up some funny animal websites to get myself in a better mood and I ended up on one of icanhascheezburger's many affliliates called icanhashotdog.com. One of the first things I found was this smarty-pants professor at some college and his smarty-pants dog, a border collie, who has a vocabulary of over 1,000 words. Now, this is not funny, I thought! Why on EARTH is this on some cute, funny website that is supposed to cheer me up? This decidedly did NOT cheer me up as all I could think is that I, instead, have a dog with the IQ of a cucumber - and I'm insulting a wide portion of the cucumber population!
My dog has a vocabularly of 5. She knows her name. That's one. She knows sit. Sort of. She knows come. Kinda sorta. She knows treat. So that's now four. And she knows the word walk. That's it. That's her repertoire. FIVE WORDS.
How depressing is that?!!
Oh, and just for kicks, she forgot how to go down the stairs again today! That's fun. She stands at the top of the stairway, and moans and groans and whines. So my husband or I ALWAYS have to be there to help her down now in case she forgets - which happens randomly.
Meantime, Professor Smarty Pants up there probably has his dog vacuuming the house and reading him stories at the end of the day. Jeez.
In other world news, I still haven't wrapped all the gifts I need to wrap. I just have a few more to do - will do tomorrow. I will be also cooking some chicken breasts tomorrow for those of us who don't eat red meat...We are going to a family dinner thing with my husband's Stepmom's side of the family which we do every year. It's really fun and we all get along wonderfully. However, meat is the main course, so I generally end up cooking something else for the few of us who don't eat the mammals. I stopped eating all beef and pork when I was 18 and I never looked back! It's easy to do, and SO much better for you. I was a total vegetarian for a while, but really did miss the occasional piece of chicken or turkey burger, so that's my thing now.
Lastly, I have this word of the day thing that pops up when I hit the icon for the dashboard on my beloved computer. If you don't have a Mac, there are all these "widgets" that you can get for free like a weather widget or a tide widget, spelling games, calculators, convertors, association games (which I LOVE!) and then there's also the word of the day widget. I thought - wonderful, I'll increase my vocabulary and get all smart and clever.
Here are the words for the past three days:
Frostbite. Is this really a difficult word? Anyone unsure what it is? REALLY?
Thrall. Which means slavery or bondage. How am I supposed to work that into every day conversation now? Really??
Mephitic. The meaning is "Of noxious stench from atmospheric pollution." And here is their charming usage suggestion: "The air he inhaled was no longer pure, but thick and mephitic, -- he was in prison."
So for the last three days there has been some horrid word describing some horrid condition like losing three frostbitten toes, being in slavery and then breathing in disgusting, noxious air. Who are these cheerful people putting this stuff out there? LIGHTEN UP!
No wonder I've been feeling a bit down!
My earlier post today featured some cute goats hopping around to cute music - if you didn't watch it, please do! It's silly as all get out and brought a smile to my sour face today!
As I was discussing our need to now own cutes goat with my friend June over there at Bye, Bye Pie, the subject of fainting goats came up. Do you know of these? If you don't, please watch this:
You know, in a way, those goats remind me of my dog that forgets how to navigate the stairs. Maybe she's part fainting goat. That explains A LOT!!
Not sure if I'll have time to venture over here tomorrow to do a posty, so if not, I will bid you adieu and wish you a very Merry Christmas!
Ho Ho HO!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Merry Christmas and thanks for the many laughs m/f.
ReplyDeleteMy dogs don't know W A L K , so yours are one up on mine. ;0)
Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteMy dogs know lots of words, they just ignore them. So really, it's like knowing no words at all.