Friday, January 14, 2011

Yoga is NOT for the weak

Holy MOLY. My husband (who, incidentally, is 9 years my junior and luckily inherited "skinny" genes and is STRONG as an ox) has been bugging me to go to this yoga class that he loves. The teacher is a male, somewhat of a guru, who has a faithful following. He is really great - I must admit. He pushes you to your own PERSONAL limit, but also infuses lightheartedness and laughter into the practice. The man (the teacher guy) does not have ONE ounce of fat on his body and he is flexible in ways that might be illegal in some states.

Well, I finally succumbed to the pressure (this has been going on for months now) and went to the yoga class last night.

It ran from 5:30 to 7pm.

Observation #1 - Anything you do for the first time in a long time should NOT be done for an hour and a half. That was my FIRST mistake. About a half an hour into the class, I knew I was in for trouble. With a capital T. My brain was saying "Uh-oh" but I persevered.

Observation #2 - Downward dog was my unlikely friend. It was the least rigorous pose he had us do (over and over and over and over and over). I have never done so many planks or cobras or kickyourasanas or who'syourdaddyasanas or whatchugonnadoaboutitasanas. It was literally the hardest class I've ever done. (If you're unfamiliar with yoga, an "asana" is a pose.)

Observation #3 - It's probably not the smartest idea to do such a hard class after just getting my back and neck into somewhat "normal" condition. It has literally been a 5 month, not-so-easy road to get my body back into working order.

Observation #4 - Everything hurts. The only two things that do not hurt today are my hair and my nose.

Observation #5 - I have several things I should be doing right now, but it was literally all I could do just to get out and walk the dogs. Everything hurts. (See #4.)

Observation #6 - Even my brain is tired.

Observation #7 - Real Housewives of Beverly Hills was pretty juicy last night. So was Jersey Shore. These two shows demonstrate the low level of brain activity I was able to muster after that yoga-torture class.

Observation #8 - My husband obviously hates me and wants me to die a slow, painful death.

Observation #9 - Sadie, who I have mentioned is quite possibly the dumbest dog on the planet? Well, I'm at about her smartness level today. Somehow the hardness of the yoga class seemed to have stolen cells from my brain and I am only able to think about simple things like, "Wow. I think I should probably take a shower. But that seems like SO much effort. But I really need to shower. Maybe if I just go an roll in the snow, I will maybe get clean? But that means I'd have to take off my clothes. And that seems like SO much effort." This is what I'm dealing with in my own little pea brain today.

Speaking of peabrains - look at how adorable and sweet and soft Sadie looks:
She really feels that soft, too - like velvet. And I love how she has her nose tucked into the snow! SO cute.

Well, that's the update for today. I think I will actually tackle taking a shower and then I have to go to the grocery store and fish market. We are having salmon for dinner tonight, at my sadistic husband's request!

Bye for now.

Pffffffffft. (That's my brain trying to think of something clever to say.)

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the yoga! You are a braver soul than I.

    Sadie looks like she came out in the snow and went, "Ahhhhhh".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a glutton for punishment
    ......and as SOFT as Sadie.
    I say that in a good way. ;0)

    ReplyDelete