Monday, November 3, 2014

Twin Peaks, Eklutna Lake and Surface Hoar (terrible title there)

Hey! So yesterday was, Mr. Big and Tall (the husband) gets-to-do-whatever-he-wants day because he's having surgery on his shoulder and torn biceps this coming Thursday. Poor guy feels like his body is failing, but what he DOESN'T take into account is that he's not a spring chicken and he has basically abused his poor body since he was in his teens.

What with the trail blazing and guiding and kayaking and rafting and hiking and going here and there with the rescuing and firefighting and traveling. Not to mention his job where he works 40++ hours a week and then when he's home? He's working on stuff. Building a new wood shed, cutting firewood, mowing the lawn, home repairs, handyman stuff.

What I'm TRYING to say is that Mr. B&T's body has served him quite well, if you ask me, given all of the abuse it has endured in the last 58+ years. I, of course, am quite a lot younger than he - had my first terrible back injury at 22 and then have been on the downward spiral with my damn back and my knees and my feet. I was addicted to cycling and running for years, so I managed to wreck my feet and knees in the process. Then, overuse and genetics presented me with the sexy condition known as degenerative disc disease all through my back and neck. Oh, it's a scene, man.

ANNNNYway, I'm currently nursing a back spasm (from the disc disease deal) and a groin pull. Yes. I know you're jealous. Deal with it.

Which leads me to yesterday? Well, in my head it does! Here we are, our merry crew on the way to Eklutna Lake in the Chugach Mountains. Only about 30 minutes from the house, just past Eagle River. The dogs were excited and wanted nothing to do with the comfy beds that Mr. B and T had set up behind our front seats. Nope. They had to be all up in our bidness the WHOLE RIDE.
Phoobles and Jaxie = best buddies

Wherever Phoobies goes, Jaxie follows! Like a little white Phoebe magnet!




Icy beach leading to Eklutna Lake.



Video of a nearly-frozen stream we crossed.


Mr. B and T with Jaxie! Phoebe was way out front!
So, we walked in one direction for a while until we were rudely interrupted by people going WAAAY too fast on ATVs scared the bejeezus out of us. We backtracked and then headed the other direction through some beautiful wooded trails. On that trail, I noticed these interesting ice formations that covered the fields by the woods - and covered most of the bushes and tree limbs. On the ground it's called surface hoar. On the limbs it's called air hoar. They're beautiful, somewhat regular ice crystals - classified as a type of snow. They're GORGEOUS and fascinating. I spent a good 20 minutes just studying this stuff and trying to capture it on my camera:



Triangular surface hoar. SOOO pretty.

This was more like cornflakes - but imagine a whole field of this stuff! 
And it makes a neat crunch when you step on it.

This is air hoar on a branch. Stunningly pretty up close.

Jaxie and Beebles.


A beautiful hillside with dramatic peaks behind.
There were sheep on the mountain, maybe 12-15 of them.

Eklutna Lake through the trees.

Twin Peaks (as in the TV show!)
Another shot of Twin Peaks as we were driving out.

A beautiful, chilly afternoon in the mountains topped off by a lovely lunch at the Eagle River Alehouse, watching the Patriots stomp all over the Broncos! Not a bad Sunday...

Hope you all had a great weekend. 

Ciao for today.

2 comments:

  1. It sure looks cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is super cold, but the beauty of this place is so distracting, I sort of forget to be uncomfortable! Plus, I wore 4 layers on top, 2 layers on the bottom and have excellent Bogs boots to keep my feet happy...It's amazing here in Alaska. I do love it!

      Delete