| This is a Northern Gannet. A close relative to the albatross and one of the most spectacular birds on the planet! Photo by D. Leonard. |
On the CONTRARY!! I adore men. Good men. Or men who are just guys. And even some that are Duuuudes!
I don't hate men at all. You can ask my husband. And my bevy of about 40 guys here in Anchorage that I have befriended! I have lunch with them, they come over and hang out and share music, they have dinner with my husband and me...
There are even a couple of young men to have asked me to be their mentors for their college aspirations and careers in science or music or art. They pick my brain about my travels around the planet and I've even gotten jobs for some of these kids in other parts of the United States.
So, nope. I don't hate men. And I don't hate women. I hate ignoramus idiots. And I don't really even actively hate them, it's more a simmering disdain that finds its way to these blog posts of mine.
Generally speaking, I get up early each day about 6:30am. I make breakfast for my lovely husband (who I adore, by the by), then I feed the doggies and we play for a while until they konk out. Then I embark on my morning odyssey of reading and eating and then more reading. I start with the news (which totally depresses most days) - politics, what Kim Jong Whatever-du-jour is up to, I always read my friend Karen's blog because she makes me laugh every single day, and I read a bunch of essays and articles that are sent to me via a writer's forum to which I belong.
And then I get inspired to do my rants on here because I'm here, by myself with the dogs, and they are terrible conversationalists.
The dogs are all "Whatever with Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren...let's break out that pizza!"
They're terribly uninformed those two critters. They are currently engrossed in the Christmas Bones that Mr. Big got for them (and I paid for them, incidentally, and I'm not sure how he gets credit due to the fact that he just handed them over to those drooling, gnashing little furballs!).
So, that's why I write. And I certainly know that I can come off as very harsh and I use language that would embarrass most sailors. But, that's the cool part about writing and what I tell my young friends when they ask my why I write this.
I get inspired by other writers' take on things and it makes me question my opinions. It makes me wonder how I got to the conclusions that I have and then, sometimes, it even makes me CHANGE my opinions.
There was a time when I used to vote exclusively party-line. I'd give a person the benefit of the doubt if they had a (D) after their name as opposed to an (R). I'm not saying I'm right about that, I'm saying that doing a lot of reading and independent-ish thinking and asking questions has taught me a lot about people and their intentions.
Living in Alaska for instance and having a strong military tradition in my family has taught me that no one has the corner on right or wrong or any of that kind of stuff.
I'm utterly bursting with pride with my incredible family, friends and their varied viewpoints and religions or non-religions and gayness or not-gayness...none of that really matters to me any more. I just love my peeps because they're my peeps.
I love them because they make me laugh, they make me cry, they make me frustrated sometimes, they lift me up and then kick me in the pants when I need it!
My friend Karen has been my best friend since we were three years old. 46 years of being BFFs is nothing to scoff at! We had our time when we didn't really talk or see each other when she was a party monster and I was a serious (overly serious) student. I didn't have time for beer or even boys a lot of times because I put myself through school via my brain! A full ride scholarship is not something to squander, so I didn't. Proud of my GPA and that I was inducted into some nice fraternities of scholarship and was able to travel to Europe for the first time because of my French studies.
Through all of that though, Karen and I have a friendship that perseveres even though we have rarely been in the same state for more than a few days at a time. We, apparently, need to be separate in order for the universe to exist! When I lived in MA, she was in Seattle and then L.A. Now, naturally, she's in North Carolina and I'm about as far away as a person can get and still be in North America!
Jeez, with the moving around.
Here's the non-sequiter warning! BEEP BEEP BEEP!
I watched a football game yesterday with my husband and his friend. It was a really good time and our team won which always makes for a happier rest of the day.
While I was there at the bar I felt this urge to talk to my Momma. My Momma is a hilariously funny, clever, smart lady and I didn't really appreciate the weird way I was raised until I got older and got a lot of therapy under my belt. She's quirky and odd and sweet and so funny that she makes me cry with whooping laughter!
Likewise, my Dad is greatly funny and has experience with amazing things like being the morning man on a really popular radio station. He's also the best improvisational jazz pianist I've ever heard and plays trumpet and sings and is just one of the kindest, nicest men you'd ever hope to meet. And he married the NICEST woman on the planet. I love them both to pieces.
Anywho, I talked to my Mom yesterday and just had such a blast talking to her! She continues to amaze me at how smart and clever she is. She's up there in years (I won't out her age!!) and still works as a voice talent on a local popular radio station.
Continuing the tradition of weird is my New Year's resolution. I wanna be weird, happy and to just wish well to my fellow travelers...
Happy New Year to all my peeps! Love you!



No comments:
Post a Comment