Thursday, February 12, 2015

Sam Smith is totally my newest favorite male artist!!

I was soooo happy that Sam Smith won the Grammy for Song of the Year! (Not to mention all of the others.)

If you have not heard this young man sing, or if you have not seen one of his gorgeous videos or performances live (he did a stint with the SNL crew - blew my socks off. I recorded it, luckily, and played the live performances over and over and over), well, if you've not listened to this angel sing, you MUST!!!

YOU MUST!!



He is, for me, a young incarnation of Boy George. I loved me some Karma Chameleon back in the day, but Sam's music (I refer to him like I know him personally - that's how GOOD his writing is) is a new level of lovely.

Harmonically and lyrically speaking, this kid is just DA BOMB, to use a very old and worn-out phrase.

I watched the Grammy's of course, because I love love love music and musicians and lyricists and producers, BUT!!! Mostly, this year? I wanted to see Sam Smith do another of his magical performances and I was NOT disappointed.

All of my favorite people were there!!!!!

Prince! Beyonce! Mary J Blige!! Rihanna! Sam Smith! Jessie J (who, by the by, looked incredible), Pharrell Williams! Katy Perry!!! MADONNA!! Sia! Kristen Wiig!!  (WOW!)

And Ed Sheeran. Could he possibly be any more adorable?

Beck!!

Even back up bands were filled with amazing talent like Quest Love, Herbie Hancock.

ELO performed. Do you know how much I loved Electric Light Orchestra in my highschool days? That band was the background music to my entire teen life!

Hozier and Annie Lennox. Absolutely stunning song. Adam Levine and Gwen Stefani? Holy schniekies! I do believe that Adam and Gwen have been drinking from the fountain of youth. Just flawless the both of them.

John Legend, LL Cool J!

Jimmy Carter for Spoken Word. Really powerful if you've not read it or heard it - "A Call to Action." Our Congress would be wiser for even having this pumped into the building.

Jeez with the food stamps now under attack? Heaven forBID we feed hungry homeless poor people.

We don't want kids actually eating FOOD, right?

They should go live off the land like the rich, fat, white bloated assh*les running our country right now.

Oh. Right. These assh*les have free lunch and free haircuts and free health care and free-DOM. More like FREE-DUM.

I cannot believe that these idiots were VOTED into office by the very people they are enjoying screwing out of their hard-earned dollars and now food? Read about it. It's a thing.

Ok. Back to the Grammys. You know how I get on a rant and can't let it go. I just hate that everytime I turn my computer on first thing that pops up is another horrid act by our GOP leadership. I seriously don't know what happened to these entitled people as kids, but they are forgetting basics like free speech and the Declaration of Independence and the Preamble to our Constitution. I wonder if they could even sing our National Anthem? Or say the Lord's Prayer?

These are basic things that our original leaders cherished above all other things. Common Decency. I come from the COMMONWEALTH of Massachusetts. Most people don't know the difference between a State (like Alaska) and what it really, truly means to be a Common Wealth.

It means we take CARE of each other. When I'm up, I'll help you if you're down. And Vice Versa.

The pay-it-forward culture is alive and well and it resides firmly where I grew up in Michigan and then for almost 30 years in Massachusetts. My friends and family over there on the East Coast are fiercely smart, fiercely independent thinkers, fiercely challenging at times (which I appreciate) and FIERCELY LOYAL.

If you knew about the outpouring of love and offers of help I received from my buddies and friends and even acquaintances when I just had my identity stolen here in Alaska? You'd be shocked! And maybe jealous! I had people wanting to fly me back, I had 10 young men who call themselves my little brothers all ready to hop on a plane to take shifts protecting me and my home!

Luckily, it didn't come to that because the police (God Bless) came to my aid and took my reports very seriously. Crime is pervasive in Alaska due to the transient nature of the work force in the oil fields called "The Slope." With oil prices plummeting, the funding is drying up here, so we've got a huge homeless problem and a BIG drug and alcohol problem which fuels the domestic violence problem.

Big Oil has retreated elsewhere, leaving a lot of people without hope. Plus the return of many vets from Iraq and Afghanistan is also creating some really sad situations. PTSD left untreated? Now we've got suicide rates going through the roof and leaving behind wives and husbands and children that are lost without benefits...I've helped a load of lovely young families just to feed their children. I'm part of a couple groups here that make sure the kids and families are being aided. Clothes, boots, food, bedding. Basic stuff.

So, when Congress decides to cut funding to the VA and now for food stamps?  Yet the kickbacks of BILLIONS of dollars to Wall Street? Corporations that operate tax free?

I pay 35% tax on my income. THIRTY FIVE PERCENT. And I'm a tiny tiny tiny business.

So, I get to earn 65 cents on the dollar.

Great. Thanks, Congress.

Oh, well. I digressed again. See? You get me going and I just explode!! But it's all true.

I'll continue my Grammy post tomorrow. So many more artists to talk about! Really a great show this year, I thought.

Ciao for now. And think about how and for whom you'll vote coming up. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment