Friday, December 18, 2015

Bass-ackwardness

As part of my awesome part-time job at the Anchorage Press (www.anchoragepress.com) and also because I deeply believe in supporting the arts, I was invited to the soft-open, pay-as-you-go (pay what you can–wow) of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol. This was a special adaptation by two VERY talented writers, Arlitia Jones and Michael Evan Haney. Haney also directed the production.

Before the show we were escorted into a private reception with the actors and staff and an amazing array of foods, wine and beer. We were treated to a few words from the writers, production staff and main actor, Kevin T. Bennett. One could tell that these people really love each other and their respective crafts. It was a great introduction to the devotion they have to their company, the Perseverence Theatre (www.ptalaska.org).

The show was nothing short of fabulous! It was sweet, funny, poignant and beautiful visually. The costumes, sound, lighting, acting, the set–all just superb. And it was thoughtfully put together to be an 80 minute production so you can bring your kids and they won’t get too fidgety! There is even a short intermission so your little ones can visit the restroom if needed.

Most obviously the message of this play is the meat of it. That we are all on this planet together and that kindness and generosity toward others is always the way to go.

And though a shorter production than usual, the message was deeply felt by the audience. A lot of us lingered after the show because we just wanted to go right back in the theater and watch it all over again.

That’s the sign of a job well done.

We all parted ways after the show and after we had all raved and oohed and ahhhed about everything we’d just seen.

On my way back to my car I noticed a small dark shape slumped over in a poorly lit area under some trees in our beautiful downtown park. It was REALLY cold–in the 20s–and I was reeeaaally hoping that it wasn’t a person.

But it was.

I went into my car, looked for blankets (I had already given them all away) and then spotted my black “Iditarod” pants. I wore these snow pants the entire time I volunteered for the Iditarod last year. Two weeks worth of dirt and dog doo doo and dog spit and dog snot (yeah, it’s glamorous) were all over these pants from last March.

Of course I washed them and they hung in my garage all summer as a reminder of the excitement of the upcoming Iditarod glamour!! Now that winter is back, my black Iditarod snow pants have been living in my car with my ice skates so that I can leave work or wherever and just plop them on and go ice skating at a moment’s notice at Westchester Lagoon.

Mind you, I also have my fancy white Obermeyer snow pants that are SO warm and so great but they’re white! Jeez. Have you met me? If there’s a dog around, PLOP down to the ground I go. I don’t mind getting dirty.

So, anywho. Here I was in the icy cold with a dilemma on my hands. My momma probably isn’t going to like the fact that I approached a slumped over homeless person in a dark park. However, there were loads of people around and 99% of the homeless people here are utterly and completely kind and sweet and SO appreciative of any help you might offer.

Every single person I've given food or water or a blanket or mittens or whatever - every last one has cheerfully and sincerely given me God's Blessing. They don't have anything else to give, and I personally think any blessing is a blessing!

With the spirit of A Christmas Carol, a full belly and a heart overflowing with gratitude for my wonderful family and friends, I took my beloved black Iditarod pants over to this man. He was slumped over and barely awake.

I stood in front of him and touched his shoulder and asked him if he was okay. His face was bruised and swollen. He was only wearing a flimsy shirt, a worn out coat, jeans and sneakers.

You can die from that. Hypothermia kills A TON of homeless each year.

He awoke a bit when I loudly asked him again if he was okay.

He looked up at me with a crooked smile and assured me that he was okay.

I handed him my warm snow pants and told him that they were extra special and blessed because they had been touched by 49 different Iditarod dog teams. His smile got bigger.

I then asked him to promise to put them on. I told him he needed to stay warm on such a cold night.  I asked him again to promise to put them on. And he promised.

And then I went to my nice warm car in my stupid expensive leather shoes and my fancy coat and hats and gloves and my amazing, warm apartment FILLED with food and gifts.

And I cried.

We all have SO much. By virtue of the fact that you are reading this means you know how to operate a computer or smart device. That means you have the money to have that shit.

We are SO damn fortunate.

So, please don’t waste your money on dumb shit. Go out there and do something nice just because you can.

THAT’S what this season is SUPPOSED to be about. Dickens was a wise man.


Ciao for now. Thanks for reading and Happy Holidays to all of you.

1 comment: