This is a shot from the sidewalk...
It's an entirely different garden from spring to summer to fall. Springtime, this garden is dominated by pink when the phlox blooms toward the back, along with the peonies and coral bells, followed by pink fairy roses that flower along the walkway in late spring/early summer. As summer progresses, the climbing hydrangeas bloom, as do the rose of sharon trees in the back, as well as the hostas that are peppered throughout the garden, and the annuals become more prominent. In fall, the stonecrop comes in along the front walkway.
This year, I also added a shasta daisy in the front on the right, another peony by the stone bench to balance that out, two solomon's seal along the walkway, a white wisteria on the trellis there in the back, four more pink day lilies in the back and a couple pink tall phlox. Sitting in my driveway are 6 european ginger and two more coral bells that I will add next time I'm there.
I have spent a serious amount of time on this project to get the effect I wanted, which was an old-fashioned cottage garden, so over-crowded with perennials, that weeds just don't have a chance! It's worked pretty well, I'd say! Every time I'm over there working at least 3 or more people stop to say how much they love the garden and how pretty it is! Very satisfying to hear!
It's always interesting to me to see the way plantings working out - particularly the annuals I put in. I do the same thing in each planter, and yet, they each turn out different! In one, the lamium took off, and in another, the tourenia is huge, and then the next one, the begonia is enormous! It's amazing! So here are the four hanging planters I installed:
And here is the planter I did for the stone bench out front, flagged by two owls!
Part deux to follow tomorrow!



Oh so lovely to look at.
ReplyDeleteTHX for sharing. (((hugs)))