Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Boaty trip; the final chapter

I wanted to thank you all for commenting yesterday. Now I know who's really reading and I am most appreciative! I hope I am slightly entertaining and that you enjoy my fine photographic skillage. We've got some doozies coming up for today! Not really. It was a LOOONNNNG ride home from Quisset! Not all that much exciting to see except for a kazillion osprey in the entry to the Cape Cod Canal! Here be a photo:
They are awesome, huge birds and very adept at fishing! It was amazing to see 15 or more of them in one little area diving for fish...

First thing, was we departed Quisset about 9:15 or so. We both didn't sleep at all the night before. It was glub glub glubbing and sloshing around on our mooring all ding dang night. I felt like I was trying to sleep in a washing machine on the gentle cycle. Oy! So, say bye, bye to Quisset!It was a nice enough morning - a bit of wind in Buzzard's Bay and cloudy, but we could see the end of the clouds and once we made it through the canal it was GORGEOUS in Cape Cod Bay and the whole way home!

Here was a tug boat we passed in the canal:Sort of like hardware stores and garden centers, I have a particular fondness for tug boats. They just exude character!

So, here we are heading up the coast toward home. This is Duxbury, I think:There are place there along the South Shore (as its called) that are perched up on the edge of dunes. They look like they could topple into the water at any point:Looney tunes!

Here are some creative pictures of the roiling wake behind the boat:
It's sort of mesmerizing like when you stare at a fire.

And I like this shot of us underway:See how calm the waters were that day? So nice.

Salem coming into viewThose two towers you see to the left of center are the hideous power plant. Its only redeeming quality is that it makes for a nice landmark from sea. That's it.

Boston:I like how the water was all sparkly!

And home port again - nice and close:

It was good to get home to be with the doggies! They were most thrilled when we arrived after our 8-hour and 15 minute trek home on the boat. My husband and I were both all wobbly when we got to shore...It's an odd phenomenon after being on a boat for the better part of 4 and a half days; your body gets used to the motion and then when you get to shore, you start swaying to get the motion back!! We slept the sleep of death that first night back home! And, of course, had to get burritos from this new place in Salem called The Howling Wolf taqueria. OHMYGOD! They are so good!

Ok. Off to the dog food place and then we are spending the evening with Dan's sister who is here visiting from California. Her boyfriend is also making his first visit out to meet our family (I have a sneaking suspicion that they are engaged and are going to make the announcement while they're here, but don't tell anyone!!).

Will keep you posted!

Happy hump day!

2 comments:

  1. Coolest hawk ever!! And, yikes-yay sis-in-law, maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was born in Salem and lived in Beverly,Salem and Wenham on Pleasant Pond before my family moved to CA.
    While I love to look at the ocean, I also fear it.
    Was caught in the undertow at Torrey Pines,CA around age 23 and would have drowned if some long forgotten face didn't save moi.
    How long is your boat? Use to go out on my hubby's work friends 42 foot Grady White with a tuna pulpit.
    He had it moored at Old Colony Yacht Club.
    We did have fun on it .........wellllllllllll before he got drunk that is. :0(

    ReplyDelete