Saturday, January 8, 2011

Very good movies I have seen

OK. I don't really have much to report in the way of exciting plants news or anything of the like, (especially because it's SNOWING again! UGH!) so I will resort to going over some movies that the hubby and I have seen recently. All of which I highly recommend!

First, The Fighter. This is a Mark Wahlberg movie, based on a true story out of Lowell, MA. Even if you don't particularly like fighting-type movies, this is worth seeing just due to the acting abilities of two of the characters, Wahlberg's brother - played by Christian Bale and Wahlberg's mother - played by Melissa Leo. As far as I'm concerned, Christian Bale is a shoe-in for an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. He totally transforms himself and for a time, you actually forget he's playing a part.
Really something to behold. And, I am admittedly not a huge Christian Bale fan, but his talent is impossible to ignore when you watch this movie. A shout out to Amy Adams, too, who does a good job of making herself in to a tough girl! I had my doubts when I saw that she was cast in this part, but she does an excellent job!

Second, True Grit. Now, if you're a purist, you may not necessarily love this movie. John Wayne is hard to follow, right? Well, this is a Coen Brothers adaptation of the original, infusing humor and amazing cinematography into the classic story. Jeff Bridges is impeccable as Rooster Cogburn

and the young girl, Hailee Steinfeld, who plays the other main role is undeniably ubertalented and VERY believable in a difficult role. It is an intense movie, but really keeps you interested for its entire length. I'm a big Coen Brothers movie fan, so I may be more forgiving than others, but everyone I've talked to that has seen True Grit, really liked it.

And, last, but VERY far from least, the most incredible movie, The King's Speech. I cannot possibly say enough about Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham-Carter. The acting is no less than superb and the story is completely touching and so very human - despite the main character becoming an unlikely King of England. It is up for many SAG awards, many Golden Globes and I'm certain it will be up for several Oscars, as well. Just a wonderful movie all the way around.

So, if you're looking for something to do this weekend, go out and watch any of these movies. You won't regret it.

Have a great weekend, all!

6 comments:

  1. True Grit and The King's Speech are the two movies I've been dying to see and now I'm dying to see them even more and now The Fighter. Thanks for the reviews!
    Let it snow!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't get past the whole "I punched my mother" thing with Christian Bale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I have so much to say here.

    Did you see at the end of The Fighter when they rolled the credits and they had this little clip of the real brothers talking? It was uncanny how well Christian Bale captured every nuance of the real Dickie. And Melissa Leo was incredible and those sisters! Every time they were on screen, the audience would roar with laughter.

    I am a little sad though because I would love to see my boyfriend Mark Ruffalo win an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor, but hands down it will go to Christian Bale.

    I haven't seen True Grit but I can't wait to. My parents took me to see the original when I was a little girl and to this day I can remember how much I loved it. I adore the Coen Brothers and Jeff Bridges is such a stellar actor, so I'm sure this is going to be a real treat.

    I haven't seen The King's Speech, but I'm going to. I just have to find someone else besides my husband to see it with. If it has English accents, he flees the room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi The Zadge!

    Love your blog! I'm a lurker. Will start commenting - promise!!

    I know - that's the thing about Christian Bale. He's hard to like, but his acting talent in this movie is just SO incredible...

    Thanks for reading my silly blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joann,

    YEEEESSSS! We did watch the clip at the end...Plus, we had seen the fighter and brother interviewed since we live in MA, this movie is a big dealeo!! Really uncanny how well Christian Bale portrayed him...

    True Grit was phenomenal. Worth every minute. They will most definitely get some nods for best screenplay and cinematography. Jeff Bridges was stellar. Good word for him!

    And, just sayin' - The King's Speech is worth going to see by yourself if you can't find anyone to go. It's not to be missed!

    Thanks so much for reading my little blog!

    ReplyDelete