I've got my HANDS FULL, kids. Really full.
Mr. Dallas, the cutie patootie?

Well, yesterday morning we were walking on the dock where we keep our boat in the summertime. Of course, at this time of year there are very few boats left in the water, so the dock is all but empty right now. We've been down there a number of times before, as I deemed it a "safe" place to let him off the leash - he can run about without fear of cars or him bolting up a street (which he has done before!)...
Oh, boy.
Well, turns out Mr. Dallas has a "chase" instinct. He saw a duck take off and head out toward open water. So, what did he do? He took off toward open water.
And then?
PLOP! SPLASH!
Into the drink he went!
HOLY SHITBALLS!
Well, of course, Mr. Dallas spent the first two years of his life chained outside in Tennessee. He has then been in foster care in Tyngsboro, MA for the last 2 1/2 months and then? With me.
He has never swum before. So, it was a very scary moment for me. I saw what was going to happen, and there was NOTHING I could do to stop it....
So, I ran after him, fearful that he was going to drown! I was sooooo scared. And so was Dallas. He was treading water, but barely. Not really swimming so much as just trying to keep his head above water.
Luckily his instinct to get back onto the dock was strong, so he stayed near the dock. I was able to grab his collar and then drag all 70 of his pounds right up onto the dock on top of me.
I was soaked. He was soaked. We were both in total disbelief!
Dallas, of course, took off like a shot again, going the opposite direction toward home...I was screaming for him to come back. And I couldn't run - the adrenaline shot that went through me to be able to lift his dead weight from the water had died off and I was left basically in a puddle on the dock. I couldn't run after him, and luckily, he turned and saw that I wasn't playing...
So he came running right back to me. He fell on me and we stayed there for a minute so I could gain my composure to walk him back home...
He kept looking up at me and then wiggling and shaking off the water! He wanted to run and run, but he knew I was spent!
What an ordeal.
Needless to say, I will not be walking him there again this morning or anytime soon. Good GOD!
So, that's the story of Dallas the Fearless, Flying Dog! : )
Now, I will leave you with a pretty video...Click HERE.
Enjoy!



You should make that story into a children's book! Micky can do the illustrations. :)
ReplyDeleteSeriously, though, that must have been terrifying. I'm glad you are both ok!
You know what? I wasn't going to click on the video because I didn't think I had time, but I did, and now I'm just a puddle here at the kitchen table. Wowsers. Gorgeous, gorgeous, zen. I feel like I just meditated.
ReplyDeleteOn the scary side, OMG, that was quite a story! Glad everything turned out OK!
Poor Dallas from Tennessee. He was just trying to chase things! "Why I in wadder now?"
ReplyDeleteMaybe he learned his lesson about the dock. Or, you know, not.
HOLY TOLEDO!
ReplyDeleteWhat a scare!
Let's just say....things were not going along "swimmingly",but I love a HAPPY ENDING.
(((hugs)))Pat
Glad you are both OK after the big swim!
ReplyDeleteMy sister was just telling me about a great pyrenees that was rescued from a partially frozen pond recently-
The pond is on the American side of Zero Ave., which runs along the Canada/US border in BC-
Fortunately, the man on the Can. side who spotted the dog flagged down a passing patrol car-the officer called the border patrol who sent officers with a canoe- they managed to get a rope around the dog's front legs and towed it to the Can. shore. By that time the owner had arrived, so happy ending all around!!
The video is GORGEOUS!!
OMG, so glad you are both safe and sound!
ReplyDelete