Monday, January 12, 2015

Dinner parties and the ocean

Detail on a recent arrangement I did for a charity event here in Anchorage.
Because I obviously have no effing brain and design stuff when I'm not learning more about Theoretical Physics.
Reverse sexism. It's a sucky thing and we ladies need to be nicer to each other.
Don't assume that because I'm a cook and have a clean, pretty house that I'm dumb.
It's asshole-ish, pretentious and stupid. And, frankly, I don't want you here if you don't respect me.
So last night, I had a couple of young friends over. They pretty much are fetuses compared to my aged person.  They are young, open, smart, interesting and interested kids - about 22 years old.

Do you remember 22?

Oy.

I was fresh out of college, world at my feet and I believed I knew just about everything a person could want to know.

HA!

I had spent the summer in Europe in between my sophomore and junior year in college. I got a scholarship to do so with a company that helped place kids like me into colleges in France for an international exchange program.

Well, I spent the summer in Caen, France up in Normandy near the English Channel (La Manche). I spent the summer speaking French to the French kids and they practiced their English on us American kiddos.

There were a wide range of kids from all over the United States that took part in this cultural/language immersion program. I loved every single minute of it. I had my very own dorm room (I didn't even have to share) and I drank fancy French Evian spring water with loads of weird minerals and it tasted bad, but I drank it anyway because hello? French. Sophisticated. Cool.

I wore the clothes that French people wore and ate the food and drank the water because I wanted SO desperately to be like those French ladies who were skinny and SO amazing and SO cool and they didn't wear makeup because they didn't care what ANYONE thought of them. Amazing. I was mesmerized by the French women.

The French men? A buncha dogs. Just like the Italian men and the Swiss and American men and all the others that were always on my ass. I was hot and young and American and because of that, they thought I was dumb.

It's a strange thing to be underestimated because of the way you look. You have to play catch-up with people.

So, just last night, this young woman who was here kinda dissed me. She's in an engineering program here in Alaska at a local University. She's struggling with some of her classes and has to take some even harder ones to graduate.

I offered to tutor her for free. But she politely declined by saying "Well, these are really advanced classes. I don't think you could help!"

Imagine that shit?

Here I am, more than twice her age. A published scientific author with 30+ years of advanced experience in biology and propagation and conservation work and this twit thinks I can't help her with a f*cking Physics 101 course.

Riiiiiiggght.

"Ohhh, let me bow down to you, you 22 year old dufus! You definitely know WAAAY more than I do. "

"Please do tell me about this difficult thing you are doing called Calculus."

( I had to take 2 years of advanced Calculus to get my degree. Magna Cum Laude. Phi Beta Kappa. Shut your face.)

So I gave her my recent copy of a text by Michio Kaku. Only one of the world's most leading authorities on advanced Theoretical Physics.

You wanna dis me? Let me school you, sweetheart.

For F*CK's sake. Give me a break. As IF?

So, reverse sexism is alive and well and living here, in Anchorage, AK.

Shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment