| A quote by Nathaniel Hawthorne. |
'Nuff said.
![]() |
| Kayaking on Portage Lake with a small iceberg from Portage Glacier. That's some cool stuff! |
What I really want to talk about are the blog posts where I complained about Alaskans and their use of the term "outsiders" and referring to other people as people from the "Outside" and the separate-ness with which Alaskans carry themselves.
Well. Now I find that I am a transplant, yes. However, I have become involved in the affairs of Alaska, the politics, the people the different cultures and then running into the "outsiders" myself. The outsiders complain about the rain.
Alaskans were so thankful for the rain so it would put out the wildfire that was raging at McHugh Creek and beyond. We were also thankful for the rain to water the beautiful diverse plants, trees and birds and other critters that needed it so desperately after it was so hot and dry for weeks.
The outsiders complain about the homeless people and look down at them.
Alaskans understand that it's a complex issue that involves the native cultures in the interior, mental health going unchecked, incest, rape, violence, physical and mental abuse, lack of education, lack of modern conveniences, lack of good health care available out in the interior, lack of money ... The list is huge and they're all intertwined with each other and it's not a problem that can be solved easily or quickly.
Slowly the "system" is catching on that the solution is not to arrest people who are in terrible mental and physical shape. The answer is to get them help. Proper services.
Escapism is the name of the game here, kids. If you suffered multiple rapes by your grandfather, uncles, your own father, brothers and beyond–might you self-medicate? I'd say YES.
When there's no way out - you have no money, no transportation, no way to even call for help? What do you think you'd do?
I know for sure I'd not judge someone for self-medicating when they have literally NO options.
Unless you've lived here and seen it for yourself, stop with the judging and angry blame game.
You see, I'm friends with several natives who are from different cultures. Aleut, Inuit, Yu'pik, Inupiaq, Athabascan, Tlingit and more. All have their own cultural difference - language, dress, subsistence living practices ...
Alaska is VERY complex. The environment here is not like any other state in the United States. We have more in common here with the northern reaches of Canada, Scandinavia and Iceland than the other 49.
As such the needs of Alaska are different than the other 49. Yet, Alaska finds itself under-represented in caucuses, conventions and anything else political except the Senate. Even the voting is depressing in national elections. The results are on television before most even head to the polls. Alaskans feel like their vote just doesn't matter.
Isn't that terrible? That 4 hour time difference is really crappy for Alaska. We know who won, so why bother? Can't blame the people here for feeling utterly left out.
Yes, we have few people, but what Alaska lacks in humans we make up for by sheer size and environmental resources that are being exploited by companies that are NOT owned or run by Alaskans. Alaska and the people herein feel very used by the United States, England and other countries that come here - take a foothold - and then abandon Alaska the minute things get tough.
I cannot tell you how many people I know who've recently lost their jobs, their homes - EVERYTHING. They were forced to get in their car and just drive away with whatever they could carry. This includes some of our military and their families. 5000 troops were cut. See ya. Good luck. Multiply that by their wives, husbands, children - all the money that removes from the Alaskan economy. It's a HUGE impact.
Life is hard everywhere. Yes.
Life is harder in Alaska. I know this to be true. I am living proof.
But it sure is beautiful.
Thanks for reading. Ciao for now. Go hug a tree or kiss your dog or look at a pretty bird.
And for the love of all that is HOLY, please stop saying the word Trump. The man is utterly ridiculous and is making a mockery of our entire country.








No comments:
Post a Comment