I think the Lily-of-the-Valley that I planted in a planter by our back door will be okay. I put them in the other day to cheer myself up after learning of the passing of my lovely Grandmother. She has had Alzheimer's so she really hasn't been all there for a while, but this was sort of unexpected news since she was in a nice place, getting very good care, and has been in relatively good health of late.
Now, most people upon learning of a death do not immediately feel the need to garden. Gardening is not only the thing I do for work, it is also my go-to activity when I need some zen. I can get totally lost in gardening...Even cleaning things up feels good. I ripped out all the old, sad annuals from last fall, cut back some perennial grasses, and cleaned out the evergreens I had used to decorate the planter by our back door.
Once the planter was empty, it was only a matter of time before I saw that bag of soil that I had by the side of the house...And then, of course, I remembered the two bags of Lily-of-the-Valleys that I bought at Home Depot last week! I planted them - a mixture of pink and white varieties - and then stuck birch branches back in the planter for interest while we wait for them to sprout! I just looked out there and see that I already have some small little guys poking through the dirt! Apparently they don't mind this rotten weather!
I also just looked on the internet for photos and apparently the thing that you buy when you buy Lily-of-the-Valley? It's called a pip!

What it looks like when it comes out of the bag is a big root ball that is oddly shaped. In any case, I planted the pips and can't wait until I get flowers!
Please send some sun our way!



No comments:
Post a Comment