In happier news, I went to the Farmer's Market last night and BOY was it great! I met a vendor there that was absolutely the most fascinating guy. He is an older retired dude that has this amazing hobby of propagating rare and unusual plants. Of course, I talked to the plant guy. Do you know me? Heellllooooooooo! He had fig trees that are hardy for Massachusetts, he had dwarf figs that are great houseplants, he had miniature everythings - succulents, mini-hostas, cactuses. Like bonsai-miniatures - totally mature plants but they're TINY!
And, I just BET you can't guess what happened next.
Riiiiiight. I bought a couple plants. FOR THE HOUSE. At least I resisted the outdoor plants this time.
Ahem.
So this is what I bought...A miniature fig tree:
And this is a fully mature aloe - 3 years old, and it won't get any larger than this! Isn't it so great?
This whole concept of propagating miniature plants is fascinating. I could have spent all night talking to that guy.
But, of course, I had to move along as there were many wonderful things to be bought at the market! I got yellow squash, yellow wax beans, tomatoes, corn relish, beets, eggplant, zucchini, dill pickles, beanless hummus and crab cakes. Crab cakes may sound like an odd thing to buy at a Farmer's Market, but we have a local fish market that EVERYONE loves and they have a small version of their market there! The corn relish was from a place in Vermont. She made jams and horseradish and the corn relish. TO. DIE. FOR.
And, the beanless hummus, you wonder? It's made from zucchini. I know that sounds revolting, but it is seriously the best hummus I've ever tasted! Very mild and VERY healthy. It came from a vegan restaurant in a neighboring town. Deee-LISH!
In garden-y news, I picked a few more tomatoes this morning:
The obedient plants are blooming more:
Nasturtiums continuing to bloom:
And last but far from least, the forget-me-not sprouts are getting taller!
OK. That's all I gots for today. I'm going to go do something important like watch grass grow or pet the dogs.
Later!



No comments:
Post a Comment