Thursday, November 4, 2010

Blah with a side of yuck.

MAN does this weather bring a sistah down! It's been quite chilly here, but at least with the gleaming sun, it's actually been beautiful for the last couple weeks! Downright lovely! But, alas, here is the rain. And gloom. And darkness. It's one of those days where it never really feels like daytime. It's sort of this misty twilight until nighttime arrives. A good soup day, fo' shizzle!

And, I've got something brewing in my sinuses. My husband was sick for 3 weeks with a terrible sinus infection and chest cold, so I'm doing all I can to stay well and beat whatever is trying to get me. I've been SOOOO tired for the last few days, but ignoring it, so today I'm laying low, as they say, and letting my energy reserves go back up.

Good news is that my back is significantly better! I know you've been terribly worried! hee! Anywho, my chiropractor sees improvement in my alignment so I'm happy with that.

Not much to report on the flower or plant front - I finished up a season of maintenance for one of my clients yesterday, so that was nice. I have one more garden to finish up and then I'm pretty much done with that sort of stuff until April next year. I do have some decorating jobs to do - evergreens and that sort of stuff, so I'll have fun with that! I do love doing up the pretty stuff...

I ordered a bunch of dried and preserved flowers, berries and greens for these upcoming projects. Wanna see?

Salal (also called lemon leaf) and pepperberries:
Big fan of the pepperberries!

Rosehips:These are more red than the pepperberries, but cute, nonetheless!

Flowering eucalyptus:HUGE fan of this stuff. The preserved lasts forever...I have some from last Christmas that I've recently used in flower arrangements and in a decorating job!

Another type of flat-leaf eucalyptus:
This has a wonderful aroma and is such a lovely deep shade of gray-green. LOVE it!

And for some odd reason? I really dislike the common kind of eucalyptus! The roundish kind? Hate it. I can't tell you why. Just like I hate red flowers. Across the board: HATE! No good reason, it just is!

Lastly, I also have some wheat left over from last year that I've been using in different things:


In other world news, Kanye West is an idiot. Just read this article. Good LORD a-livin'!!! Such a noodlehead! Someone needs to check his ego!

As I mentioned, it's been getting downright COLD here lately, particularly at night. The other night it was in the high thirties. That's COLD! So, I brought in my herbs (still have tons of chives, thyme and rosemary) and I picked the remaining basil:
It is sitting next to the sink here and it smells SO fabulous! Sorry that I can't grow it year-round, is all!

I also picked the remaining tomatoes, as the plant is looking rather scraggly and unhappy now. I've got quite a few on the sill in here waiting to ripen:
Quite the bounty, right?!

I also picked a few flowers that I had blooming so I could enjoy them inside:
I grew all of that stuff except for the big stalky green things - the rest are the saponaria (mystery weed that wasn't a weed!), angelonia, Montauk daisies and papyrus.

Lastly, I bought this little bonsai schefflera earlier this year and I just love the darn thing! It has THE cutest baby leaves you've ever seen:That is about the size of a dime! AAAACCCCK! So cute!

Mostest last (I know that's not a word!), my friend June over there at Bye, Bye Pie has done a cute post today featuring yours truly when we were five years old. Well, actually I was five. She was a mere four and three-quarters. I'm older than she is just by a hair and that always made her so upset that my birthday was ALWAYS before hers! Somehow, I don't think it still bothers her now that we're 45! (Even though it IS waaaay better to be a little older. And therefore wiser. And much more fun!)

Heee!!

Until we meet again...Au revoir!

5 comments:

  1. I really love the second kind of eucalyptus you have pictured. I've not seen that in person but the leaves look so dainty and pretty. Much more supple than the garden variety, ha!, you find in the craft store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Duffylou, that eucalyptus is a variety called Tear Drop. I get all of my dried and preserved flowers from http://www.flowerdepotstore.com/

    They have such good quality stuff! Thanks for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those scents, but can't have none of it around my hubby.:0(
    I walk into a shop that carries those supplies and enhale deeply and exhale slowly.:0)
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, racists...Bush-Katrina...West-Swift...I see. I get it. Phew, what were we all thinking?!@# Oh, for the love of God!

    Anyway, dried flowers look so fun. Can't wait to see what you create. And can I just mention that Matthew left a wheat stalk on his work bench in the basement and when I was down there (using the chop saw) I saw that a mouse had devoured the wheat...damn mouse or mouses...I watched scurry into a closet on the second floor, heard one on the third and glimpsed yet another or one and the same scamper through the kitchen. I have traps, but this mouse or mouses doesn't seem to like peanut butter... rain again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those mices are VERY difficult to get rid of. We have some in the kitchen each winter. We have done EVERYTHING to get rid of them, and nothing seems to work! SO frustrating, isn't it? And gross! I have to clean the counters and the stove every day in the winter. Blech!

    ReplyDelete