Anyway, it's slapping me right in the face so much that I cannot ignore it any more!! Winter birds are arriving daily now. Yesterday I saw my first Eiders. If you are not a nature person this will be boring to you, but I'm big into the little natures and I really do enjoy watching the wildlife change here from season to season. It's fascinating to me!
We see a lot of natures here, as we live on the ocean and there are really quite a wide variety of critters that are here for the summer and then a new set of critters that come for the winter!
Just today this is the list of what I saw on my morning walk with the doggies:
Boring crittters like brown squirrels, different gull species, pigeons, sparrows, and the usual suspects. Then, I also saw these other more interesting critters!
Bufflehead ducks:
Aren't the boys so cute with their black and whiteness?A peregrine falcon! He's been around for two days now:
Beautiful.Eider ducks:
They are similarly cute with their black and white outfits!Snow buntings:
They arrived about a week ago. They are tiny and cute and are brownish right now, but as the snow arrives they get progressively whiter! There is a flock of 12 or 15 of them that lives down along the water where we walk the dogs almost every day.And a belted kingfisher:
They have a very specific chit chit that they make and a very bouncy way of flying! Very pretty birds, no? I love their hairdos!So, kinda neat to have all these cool birds to trigger the changing seasons, right? I dig it.
In other world news, I made a delicious chicken dinner last night. Roasted an organic chickie with onions, carrots, celery and a few little yukon gold potatoes. Also made an acorn squash. Numm. Today, I made a deeeeelicious chickie soup with the leftovers. Added some broth, the chicken more carrot, onion and celery and then seasoned with lots of good goodies including home-grown chives, thyme and rosemary! When the veggies were cooked, I added some quinoa pasta shells and voila! Delicious soup:
And here are my herb plants in the dark bar.
Alrighty. I think I'm going to put on some more duds and head outside for a little walk to get my blood moving. It stopped raining, so I'm going to get some fresh air.
Happy Thursday!



We enjoy our birds too.
ReplyDeleteThe feeders are hung and filled with care. :0)
Hey, was that small girl that perches up on a ? in a cat costume and meows there this year?
My daughter Cheryl went there about 2 or 3 days before Halloween and didn't see her like she usually does.
She marvels at how she is in that position for so long.
We had measurable snow fall yesterday. Pfft. It's up to 39 degrees now but it might as well be zero. I become a hermit in the winter. Bah. I have blue jays and cardinals in my back yard. Love the colors. When I was at the bank Thursday a wild turkey flew to the top of the building a stayed there spreading its wings. I took a picture with my phone but it didn't come out well.
ReplyDeleteOhmyGOD!! Snowfall? That's the grossest thing I've ever heard! Way too early for that!! That's amazing that a wild turkey was right in your city! Amazing! I've seen them in Beverly by the side of a road, but never in town! Very cool!
ReplyDelete