Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Update on Koty and other randomness



He's totally fine. In fact, by the time we had to load up and get into the car to go to the vet? He was totally waggy and fine and happy and jumped right up into the car. So, there ya go. He probably just pulled something or twisted his leg in a weird way and all it took was a little bit of rest and he was good to go!

In other world news, it is SO COLD HERE. Yuuuuucccccckkkkkooooooo! Hate hate hate the cold. The weather website I use, accuweather.com, tells me it is currently 18. Wind chill brings it to MINUS THREE. Is this really necessary? I was completely fine with it being 50 degrees the other day. Even 40 is do-able. This crap we're having today? NOT fine. NOT do-able. Ridiculous is what it is.

Last night I walked to one of our favorite restaurants to join a friend for dinner. Walking TO it was cold enough, but then walking home was literally painful. My legs HURT by the time I got home and I had on a big down coat, jeans, a big scarf, a hat and gloves. I was prepared, but the cold was able to permeate even all of those layers.

The GOOD news is that we booked our annual winter trip a few days ago! We are heading to Jost Van Dyke in the British Virgin Islands. Jost (pronounced YOHST) is heaven on Earth, my friends. We have been there before and it is just incredibly awesome. It's the most laid-back island you can possibly imagine. There are no locks on doors, crime just basically does not exist. HEAVEN.

Here is a live webcam overlooking the beach from this world-famous little bar/restaurant called The Soggy Dollar. The reason it is called that is that you can only reach Jost by boat. So, in order to get to the bar, most patrons are on their private boats that are moored off the beach, they swim in, and therefore, their dollars are soggy! They have a clothesline that runs along the back of the bar where they hang the soggy dollars to dry! It's a hoot!

Anyway, we stay on the side of the island where there is one of the most stunning stretches of beach in the world along White Bay. This is the view from the hill where our villa is:
Is that not stunning?

The Soggy Dollar bar is on White Bay, as is another really amazing little bar called Ivan's Stress-Free Bar. While you stay on Jost, you can go into Ivan's and, most times, there is not a bartender. You make the drinks yourself and then there is a notebook where you keep a tally of whatever you make while you're there for the week or however long, and then you just pay up at the end of the week. Seriously. Is that not the coolest thing? Love the honor system!

Anyway, I could go on and on about Jost, but I must bundle up myself and get the dogs out for a walk. Some of us that live in this house actually relish the cold since they are built with the thickest fur you can imagine!

Later we are going to a play at the newish Salem Theater Company.

Hope you are all having a good week!

Ciao!

5 comments:

  1. Have a steamer trunk? I'd like to stow away please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...and I'm so very glad that Koty is waggy and fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't get the live cam up, but I'm sure it's all you said AND MORE!
    Will try again later.
    Maybe it's a touch of arthritis that Koty is experiencing.

    Been out today and YES... baby it's cold outside ...as the song goes. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Duffylou, you definitely are invited along - however, I do not have a steamer trunk!! It's worth the thought of it though - it's truly gorgeous there...

    And, thanks for the kinds words about Koty...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Female, it is most definitely his arthritis being affected by this rotten coldness. He was not all that thrilled about walking again today, and that's very unlike him. He's on good anti-infammatories and pain meds for his arthritis, but I have a feeling something twisted or pulled or bruised yesterday and it's being aggravated by the coldness.

    Too bad you couldn't pull up the webcam! Dreamy is what that is!!

    ReplyDelete