Friday, May 21, 2010

Scary Thursday

Yesterday was the day from hell. It started with my husband awakening me at a very early hour to tell me something was wrong with our sweetest dog in the world, Sadie. This is Sadie:



She is honestly the gentlest, mellowest, lovebug of a dog that you could ever begin to imagine. I just adore her little (big) self!

I rushed down the stairs, of course, and found her laying on one of the dog beds in our bar. She was panting, not wagging, not really responding to my voice and she refused her breakfast.

I immediately called the vet and we rushed her in there pronto. The vet felt around, took her temp and vitals, and then proceeded to take some xrays. The culprit was her spleen. On the x-ray we could see that it was enlarged and that there was fluid leaking into her abdomen...Not good.

Long story short, after many tears and two TERRIBLE outcomes, we lucked out with the lesser of two evils. The worst scenario was that we were going to have to euthanize her yesterday. Just the mention of that word makes me shudder and start sobbing, so you can only imagine the relief when the specialist vet (that also got us in right away, thankfully) told us that her ultrasound only showed a tumor in her spleen. All her other organs were perfect. No other tumors.

Final outcome is that she had to have an emergency splenectomy. The tumor was the size of a baseball and had caused her spleen to rupture. She had blood leaking into her abdomen and basically just felt rotten. If the leaking got worse, she could have possibly died, so we are lucky in a sense that we caught it when it was very do-able to make her better.

We are going to pick her up in a few minutes and I CANNOT WAIT!

PS - Update on Sadie...She is resting. Has bouts of pain where she sort of moan/cries, but then she falls asleep because the poor thing is exhausted. She's been through quite the rigamarole. We are SO very thankful to have here home and alive. I cannot express how thankful we are. And, also thank you to all of you for your kind words and support!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that Sadie's doing good! My sister had a similar situation with her dog, but with the other outcome. It's been tough for her. When I started reading, I was worried I was going to read the same story. Hope she recovers quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that everything turned out ok!
    I found your blog though Bye Bye Pie... enjoying reading about your life.

    ReplyDelete