Monday, December 1, 2014

Another Monday to Amuse or A Muse?

It's officially winter in Alaska! It's dark for 18 hours a day (not really, it's actually quite bright starting at about 8am until about 6pm), it's snowy and icy (I'm liking this part) and the moose are wandering the streets of Anchorage regularly now.

I'm in hibernation mode in a big way. I slept until 10:30am!! Slightly different than a few months ago when I was wide awake at 4 or 5am on a daily basis. Even the DOGS slept until 10:30am. They didn't ask to go out or for food or anything. We all turn into a bunch of bears up here in the Great White North.

Even during this sort of snowy, icy time there is still much to marvel at in Alaska. There are loads of birds frequenting our yard and our neighbor's feeders. We have Mountain Ash, Crabapple, Wild Cherry and giant spruce trees filled with cones - all of which attract a wide array of feathered friends - magpies, Bohemian waxwing, juncos, chickadees, titmouse, pine siskin, huge flocks of redpolls...

I decorated for the season a couple nights ago - put out lights, some select ornaments and pretty, sparkly silver, woven ribbon. I'm doing old school except for the candles - I really don't want to burn the place down! I'm gonna go take a picture. Hold on.

BRIEF INTERMISSION. 

Enjoy these recent pictures while I go outside:

Isn't this the coolest cloud? It looked like an angel.
Sort of an inversion/lenticular cloud with some high moisture.
Interesting clouds abound here in Alaska. 
Along the coast about a mile from our house.

Cute lichens.

Bract fungus on a birch.

A littany of lichens!

Beautiful day in the Chugach State Forest.
Alrighty then. I'm back. I was outside and got the mail and braved the cold snow! It's actually gorgeous outside. The snow here is light and powdery because it's so darn arid. The mountains that surround Anchorage sort of "steal" all the heavy moisture, so it's crispy and the snow is light and lovely. It's a bit icy today - there's an ice storm supposedly coming toward Anchorage, so tomorrow will probably be a day to stay in and avoid driving altogether.

So, here are the pictures of the front of the house and some of the cute ornaments in the lilacs and roses out front:

Someone recently asked if this is where Santa lives! It kind of looks like it, doesn't it?
 Note the half-eaten pumpkins on the corner there. The mooses still have some snacks waiting for them here!
Mailbox with the remaining ribbon. 

Chickadee ornament.

Icicles, ornaments and the bell that my Aunt Sis gave to me when I got married.

Neato wire snowflake ornament.

Happy panda in the snow!




Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving. Thanks for reading today and ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment